Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
Department of Catholic Schools
2838 E Burnside St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 236-3683 FAX
- Any person seeking a teaching position in the Archdiocesan elementary or secondary schools of the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon must file an application with the Department of Catholic Schools. A PDF version of the process is available here. Job postings (listed by elementary and high school) are available by clicking the links to the left.
- Likewise, any person seeking a teaching position in the Catholic schools of the Archdiocese is expected to hold state certification appropriate for the grade level/subject the teacher is applying for. It is acceptable for those new to teaching to be in the process of obtaining certification at the time of application.
- All applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application form (updated 4/25/2017)
- A resume
- Transcripts showing degrees (bachelor and above) - copies are acceptable for the application process; official copies will need to be submitted before employment begins.
- A copy of the current teaching certificate
- A paragraph on each of the following
- Philosophy of education
- Reasons for interest in a teaching position in the Archdiocese of Portland
- A letter of recommendation from each of the three references listed on the application. Each letter must be accompanied by a completed applicant waiver form and must be no older than three years. Letters are required from:
- the applicant’s pastor (verifying status as a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church, or minister, if non Catholic,
- a former employer [for new college graduates, the student teaching supervisor],
- a professional colleague.
Please submit application and supporting documents as PDF files.
Submit application and supporting documents to Dina Boyle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Dina at 503-233-8348 if you do not receive a confirmation email within one business day.
On page 2 of the application form, you choose how your file is distributed to the principals:
OPEN: Your contact information and teaching preferences will be listed on the applicant report we send to all principals and all Archdiocesan principals can view your full application file.
RESTRICTED: Your contact information and teaching preferences will be listed on the applicant report we send to all principals but only the principals from your preferred schools will have access to your full application file.
Your contact information and teaching preferences will not be listed on the applicant report that is sent to all principals. Only the principals from schools you are interested in will have access to your full application file.
To view the generic
teacher job description.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that recommendations and transcripts have been sent by the persons requested to do so.
- The Department of Catholic Schools does not hire teachers. However, no person can be considered for a teaching or administrative position in an Archdiocesan Catholic school unless he or she follows the application process as outlined.
- Because of the religious nature of Catholic schools, in all cases, the lifestyle, philosophy, and beliefs of an applicant will be considered and are expected to be consistent with the teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church. In addition, all Catholic applicants are required to be in good standing with the Church.
- Application materials, once completed, are to be submitted to the Department of Catholic Schools Office electronically. When submitted electronically the applicant’s typed name on the signature line will serve as the signature and verify that the candidate has read, understands, and completed the application, and agrees to abide by the provisions of the application.
- When all required information is received, the applicant will be notified that the file is complete. Names of applicants whose files are complete and the position sought are listed for principals and copies of applicant files are made available to schools upon their request.
- A principal interested in a particular applicant will contact the applicant and arrange for an interview. The interested principal will also check all references as well as contact all current and previous employers.
- If a principal hires an applicant, the principal notifies the Department of Catholic Schools, and the Department will then remove the applicant’s name from the list of available candidates. If a principal reviews an applicant’s file and/or interviews an applicant and does not hire the person, the principal notifies the Department of Catholic Schools, and the applicant’s name remains on the list of available applicants.
- Periodically, an applicant will be asked if he or she wishes to keep his or her file active and, therefore, to update his or her file.
- COMPLETING THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS NOT A GUARANTEE TO ANYONE THAT HE OR SHE WILL BE INTERVIEWED FOR A TEACHING POSITION OR WILL OBTAIN A TEACHING POSITION IN A CATHOLIC SCHOOL IN THE ARCHDIOCESE OF PORTLAND, OREGON.
- Each year applications for teaching positions are sought in anticipation of openings. An applicant is asked to be sure to indicate on the application form the schools that he/she would be interested in being considered for. Principals are asked to notify the Department of Catholic Schools of any openings for posting on the webpage.
- The Archdiocesan Catholic elementary schools in the Archdiocese of Portland are:
All Saints, Portland
Holy Cross, Portland
Holy Family, Portland
Holy Redeemer, Portland
St. Agatha, Portland
St. Clare, Portland
St. Ignatius, Portland
St. John Fisher, Portland
St. Pius X, Portland
St. Rose, Portland
St. Therese, Portland
St. Thomas More, Portland
St. Francis of Assisi, Banks
Holy Trinity, Beaverton
St. Cecilia, Beaverton
O'Hara Catholic, Eugene
St. Paul, Eugene
Visitation, Forest Grove
Sacred Heart, Gervais
St. Anne, Grants Pass
St. Matthew, Hillsboro
Our Lady of the Lake, Lake Oswego
St. James, McMinnville
Sacred Heart, Medford
Christ the King, Milwaukie
St. John the Baptist, Milwaukie
St. John the Apostle, Oregon City
St. Paul, St. Paul
Queen of Peace, Salem
St. Joseph, Salem
St. Vincent de Paul, Salem
St. Francis, Sherwood
St. Mary, Stayton
St. Luke, Woodburn
- The Archdiocesan Catholic secondary schools in the Archdiocese of Portland are:
Central Catholic High School, Portland
Marist Catholic High School, Eugene
Regis Catholic High School, Stayton
- The other Catholic elementary and secondary schools in the Archdiocese of Portland are: [Individuals interested in positions in these schools must contact the schools directly.]
Blanchet Catholic School, Salem (6-12)
De La Salle North Catholic High School, Portland (9-12)
Franciscan Montessori Earth School, Portland (PS-8)
Jesuit High School, Portland (9-12)
La Salle Catholic College Preparatory, Milwaukie (9-12)
St. Andrew Nativity School, Portland (6-8)
St. Mary’s Academy, Portland (9-12)
St. Mary’s School, Medford (6-12)
Valley Catholic Elementary School, Beaverton (K-5)
Valley Catholic Middle School, Beaverton (6-8)
Valley Catholic High School, Beaverton (9-12)