SUBSTITUTE TEACHING IN THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS (Pre-Kindergarten-Eighth Grade)
For 2016-2017 School Year
To qualify for the Department of Catholic Schools Substitute List, applicants must have one of the following:
- Valid Oregon teaching license
- Valid/active Out-of-state license with proof of FBI fingerprint check within the last 3 years**
- Expired Oregon license with proof of a renewal in process**
- Obtain an Oregon Restricted Substitute License (see Note)**
**Temporary exceptions for 2016-2017 school year
To be placed on the Dept. of Catholic Schools substitute list, teachers must complete the application packet (be sure to save the file to your computer before you start to enter data - click SUBMIT on the document to email):
- Application form
- Supplemental Substitute Information form
- License History Form
And also submit:
Applications will be evaluated for appropriate qualifications, including a background of successful teaching experience. A Praesidium background check will be completed on all applicants. Applicants without a national fingerprint clearance within the last 3 years will be required to complete the fingerprint background check process.
Please note that your typed name on the signature line is acceptable as a signature for the application forms.
Email forms and supporting documents to Dina Boyle at firstname.lastname@example.org or send to:
Department of Catholic Schools
2838 E. Burnside St.
Portland, OR 97214-1895
Although we are happy to help with general questions regarding Oregon licensure, any specific questions should be addressed to:
TEACHER STANDARDS AND PRACTICES COMMISSION
250 Division St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Note: The Archdiocesan Department of Catholic Schools may sponsor qualified applicants for the Restricted Substitute Teaching License. The TSPC requirements are listed below, however, a items may be required by the Department of Catholic Schools.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR RESTRICTED SUBSTITUTE TEACHING LICENSE (from TSPC website )
To meet the minimum qualifications for the Restricted Substitute Teaching License, you must:
- Have a letter of sponsorship from the Department of Catholic Schools which will be submitted directly to TSPC;
- Be 18 years or older;
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher (regionally accredited or foreign equivalent)
- Pass the required Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam;
- Pass a criminal background clearance, including fingerprints.