What are the qualifications?
What openings are available?
How to apply
Where to send the application materials
Other available principal openings (non-Archdiocesan schools)
Openings for 2017-2018 School Year
The Department of Catholic Schools is soliciting applications for the following principal openings. Additional openings are anticipated and will be posted on this page.
St. Francis Catholic School, Sherwood
St. Ignatius Catholic School, Portland
St. Joseph Catholic School, Salem
- A practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the Church.
- A commitment to the development of a Christian spirit and a Catholic community of faith within a school.
- A master’s degree, preferably in educational administration.
- A minimum of five years of teaching experience in Catholic schools preferred. Such experience should be sufficiently broad to provide an understanding of the Pre-K–8 or 9–12 structure and the potential to function as an educational leader in an elementary or secondary school.
- Hold an Oregon Administrator License or its equivalent from another state. [Candidates who do not hold an Oregon Administrator License or who cannot convert an out-of-state certificate to an Oregon Administrator License will be required to complete the requirements for certification and obtain an Oregon Administrator License within the first two years of employment.]
- Successful completion of the Department of Catholic Schools leadership program or a similar leadership program in another Roman Catholic diocese. In the event that a person is hired who has not completed such a program, he or she must begin and complete the program during the first year[s] as principal.
- Have leadership ability as evidenced by performance in educational assignments, i.e., have the capacity, enthusiasm, intelligence, and patience to inspire teachers, children, parents, clergy, and local school community leaders.
- Have completed the Archdiocesan application process.
Return to top
How to apply:
Download application packet (revised 3/17/2017)
Reference materials for the application:
- Qualifications and Application Process
- Principal Job Description
- Roles and Characteristics of a Principal
The application packet is a fillable PDF. Be sure to save the file to your computer before you start working on it to avoid loss of information.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered until position(s) are filled.
Return to top
PRINCIPAL APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicant downloads the following forms and information:
- Archdiocesan Application Form;
- Job Description for School Principal;
- Roles and Characteristics of a Principal.
Applicant returns the following materials [the items may be sent in separately]:
- Completed Application;
- Philosophy of Education and reason for interest in position (as requested on Supplemental application form);
- Copies of transcripts showing Master’s degree and administrator license program [once hired, official copies must be submitted];
- Copy of current teaching/administrator’s license;
- Current Resume.
Submit letters of recommendation from the following people (A completed Waiver Form for Letters of Recommendation must be submitted with each letter of recommendation):
- Pastor or Religious Superior [verification of status as a practicing Catholic in good standing];
- Immediate past employer;
- Two other professional references.
Return to top
All application materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit application and supporting documents as PDF files.
When all materials have been received, the Department of Catholic Schools forwards a copy of the candidate’s file containing the application and recommendations to the local principal search committee(s).
For questions, please contact Dina Boyle at email@example.com or 503.233.8348.
Other principal openings
Outside of the Archdiocese of Portland Principal Positions
Non-Archdiocesan School Principal Positions
Principal Search: St. Mary's Academy, Portland, OR
Return to top